Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Pueblo Xeric Garden Tour - 4

This was a nice garden around a modular home, very neat and tidy. This is what the tour guide says about it: "Designing and creating a garden that challenges traditional garden practices and implementing water saving techniques has been a priority for these homeowners since its imception in 2000. This 'user friendly garden' is routinely re-mulched to decrease evaporation and to discourage weeds. The vegetable garden, which is conveniently located close to the kitchen door, is amended with compost each spring. The covered patio facing west invites one to enjoy the garden and the sunsets." This was the very best thing about this garden. The grass is called Silky Thread Grass. The sun was lighting it from behind and it glowed! I had to touch it when I saw the name and it was as soft as it sounds! I see it is available in the High Country Gardens (Santa Fe) catalogue...I have to get some! I just liked this glass ball that was hanging from the patio cover, along with several others. Taken for plant identification mainly. Click on picture to find out what this is... Neat idea for a way to display garden implements... Jupiter's Beard, but I have never seen white before! Not even in catalogues. A mock orange bush that smelled heavenly! Very interesting implement...I guess for aerating the ground. I wonder if it was pulled by a horse or a tractor? After visiting this garden I stopped for lunch at a new-to-me place...Mi Ranchito Restaurant. The green chili served over the enchiladas was excellent! All these gardens were in an area of Pueblo I did not even know about...south and east and in an unincorporated area, as far as I could tell. Lots of housing development on former farms and the fancy houses butted up against fields and corrals. A very interesting area that needs to be explored further.

No comments: